Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Wounded Warrior Battalion

Each of us have our own reasons for riding a bicycle across the U.S. Cycling is both my exercise and therapy. My reason for riding across the U.S. is simple; I aways wanted to and I think it will be easier and more fun than training for and running a marathon. Although, I suspect there are a lot more people that have run a marathon than have ridden a bike across the U.S. Once the decision was made to do the ride, I figured the more people I told, the harder it would be not to do the trip. A lot of people's initial reaction was to ask if I was doing it to raise money for a charity or cause. I had no charitable intention or cause. But a cause became clear to me after the brother of one of my daughter's best friends was nearly killed in IRAQ in early 2008.
1st. Lt. David Borden, USMC was leading a patrol in IRAQ when his squad came under gunfire. One of Dave's squad members was killed. A wounded insurgent strapped with explosives detonated himself in close proximity to Dave and his other soldiers. Dave ultimately lost a leg and suffered other serious injuries. Dave's life hung in the balance for months. As I write this, Dave is undergoing further operations on his amputated leg. When the mountains get steep, the wind and weather miserable, I will have Lt. Borden as my inspiration and motivation, as nothing I will endure will compare to what he has and continues to endure. Therefore, in honor of Lt. Borden, my cause and purpose is to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Battalion East.
The mission of the Wounded Warrior Battalion East is to provide and facilitate assistance to wounded/injured/ill Marines, Sailors attached to or in support of Marine units, and their family members, throughout the phases of recovery. The battalion is responsible for tracking and non-medical case management for all seriously ill or injured Marines east of the Mississippi River to Lanstuhl, Germany.

Beginning January 1st through Memorial Day, 20% of my law office's initial office consultation fees, charged by me, will be donated to the Wounded Warrior Battalion, in honor of Lt. Borden. Anyone wishing to contribute may contact me at sam@gatesandgates.com.

Thank you Lt. Borden and all veterans for your sacrifice and service.

No comments:

Post a Comment