Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Day 4 (5/26/09)

Day 4 and we are still working out the kinks, body, support team and this blog. First and foremost, below is a link to the slide show of pictures. Click the slide show tab to view the pictures in a slide show. The link will also be in the "Links" to the left of the postings. http://picasaweb.google.com/BRAG2009/Days14?feat=directlink
I'm still having GPS download problems, but like NASA, I will work through them, and will have downloads later. As of tomorrow we will be out in the middle of no where for awhile, certainly no cell phone coverage, and wireless Internet doubtful so there may be further delays.

Today we started from Genoa, Nv. (we spent the night in Carson City, but drove back west, to start where we left off on Day 3). The ride was a 74 mile time trial sprint to Fallon, Nv. Despite a headwind, and mostly flat terrain, we averaged 19 mph into Fallon. After lunch, the boys (support team) found us a room for the night in town while we road another 16 miles east of town, where we will begin from on Day 5. We all took our turns rotating to the front to block the wind; all for one and one for all. After lunch, Jere finally had his green vegetables and perked up, so he drug Tim & I on the ride out of town. I lallygagged in the rear, calling out the Navy fighter jets buzzing in and around Navy Fallon Air Station. The terrain is sparse and arid. We were told by a gentleman at lunch, who said he passed us on the decent from Carson's Pass on Day 3 and again today, that the mountains further east are beautiful. (He wasn't too sure why we ride so close together; I guess he doesn't watch the NASCAR cars drafting).
Stats for day 4 were; 90.1 miles, total ride time 4:49, avg. speed 18.7, max speed 43.2, 1,932' of ascent. No dogs, no rain, no mechanical problems, only two horn honks, and Jere's nose is redder than Rudolph's. All and all, things are going better than I expected; somehow I'm afraid the good fortune can't last.

9 comments:

  1. Dad,

    I knew nothing about the blog! I am sure this trip will be one epic ride after another! My odds are in pretty boy taking a ride in the van first. Joshua behave yourself! Dad be nice you all aren't spring chickens anymore!

    Love,

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam,

    Best wishes. And take good notes.....

    Phil T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty boy? Who dat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the pictures. Would like to see some really big smiles though. Keep on trucking, Rich S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jere's wife and Joshua's mom:I am glad everyone is enjoying the adventure. Behave and be safe. Joshua make sure you call your mother.

    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jere,

    Please get Josh to go buy you some ZINC for your NOSE so you have one left when you get back east!! Love, your annoying sister, Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sam,

    I think that you look a little thin in the pictures. I'm thinking that you sacrificed some upper body muscle for the trip.

    Paco (the guy who has disappeared)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really enjoying your trip via. journal & photos. Looks like you guys are doing really well, keep up the good times.
    Rich S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys are great! I am so excited by your great adventure; love the pics. I pray that you are safe and that you take time to smell the roses. What a great country we live in! You are a great inspiration; I hope to hike down the Grand Canyon some time soon.

    Ly,

    Marlene (tiny Steiny) Friend of Tim and Sharon

    ReplyDelete