Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 9 (5/31/09)

In observance of the Sabbath and Joseph Smith http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith,_Jr., we had a short and unproductive day, 55 miles due south (no eastward progress) to Cedar City, Ut., the biggest city we've been to since we left Carson City, Nv. and probably the next real civilization until we reach Pueblo, Co. in a week. Even our support team rested (still recovering from the big Friday night in downtown Ely, Nv. and the squaws from the nearby reservation). Leaving us unsupported for the duration; they pulled along side, just as we entered Cedar City. Tim and I enjoyed our short day and lodging, resting for tomorrow's 131 mile day and highest climb yet; 10,450' (climbing from 5,800' out of Carson City).

There was no rest; however, for the team mechanic. Jere had to clean-up and lube the bikes from yesterday's rain and hail. (I just wish he would keep his greasy hands off my white seat). I enjoyed sitting in the sun, evening out my farmer's a.k.a. biker's tan, while I watched Jere work.
There is rumor of a conspiracy between Tim and Jere, plotting a deviation from the route through southern Pennsylvania enroute to the Maryland/Delaware coast, rather than Yorktown, Va. If the rumors have any merit, any course deviations will be announced here. Stay tuned.
I didn't have time to research the law of Utah, but if anybody has time to research; is it against the law to smuggle beer into Utah from Nevada and drink it on Sunday? Speaking of law, henceforth my profession will be a mortician or actuary. While dining on a pumpkin chocolate cookie yesterday, some old man trying to make conversation with the three Spandex Amigos asked me, "What do you do?" Of course I couldn't lie. Without batting an eye, out came the lawyer jokes. A little later, while donning my helmet, as Jere and Tim rode away, I got a legal question. Something to the effect, that when he was in a McDonalds in Missouri, he got upset with somebody, who punched him in the mouth. The police were called and offered to press no charges against either or charge both. He wanted the offender prosecuted, so both were charged. Ultimately, the prosecutor said he didn't have enough to charge the guy, yet he was found guilty of Disorderly Conduct. The legal question, after the facts was, "How can that happen?" Seeing Jere and Tim peddle out of sight, I quickly offered my advise; "Stuff happens" and rode off.









7 comments:

  1. I have two responses to what did I do before retirement. The first is to hand them my card "director of Marketing for Acrylic Funerals"That leads into a long bit .
    The second, if I don't want to be nice ; is to tell them I work in the auditing division for the IRS. They usually disappear fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cedar City was named after the trees , but they are really Junipers, not cedar. Opps!
    evidence of prehistoric rock art can be found in Paarowan Gap, just north of city

    ReplyDelete
  3. >> "What do you do?" Of course I couldn't lie. <<

    The setup is just too easy ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the support team is taking care of the "older guys"! Great pictures! I think I have the answer to your flower "quiz"...from what I can tell (via Utah's Wildflower pages) the purple ones are a type of Bluebell and the white ones are called Woodland Star. Keep up the great work! Miss the Ballards, but think it is wonderful what you are doing! Love, Amber & Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to see the 3 old guys are doing well. Glad to see everyone managed to get to a nice hotel and enjoy the hot tub. Take care of that support team.

    Miss you Josh...Hi Tom

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim in a hot tub really! I find that very interesting. Also, what do people say to 3 guys in spandex; what do you do for a living? Again interesting!

    Loving the blog and all of your efforts. The support team is amazing and you guys are either the three stooges or the fantastic four minus one.

    Have a great climb tomorrow.

    Marlene Steinour
    Enjoying the great weather here in south central pa. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sam! Just checking in, congratulations on your progress so far and good luck going forward. Keep the rubber side down. - Craig Milsten

    ReplyDelete