Saturday, April 26, 2014

Day 6, April 25, 2014

134 MILES and another state and time zone in the books.  The forecast held true and we had prevailing SouthWesterly winds blowing us eastward.  The forecast for tomorrow is similar, should be able to make good time.  Sat. we cross the Continental Divide early, then all down hill to Albuquerque (5,280').
Today, Jere got his first flat of the day, about 25 miles from the finish line.  I developed a slow leak, but was able to pump up the tire at rest stops, and Jere replaced the tube at the hotel, in a more civilized environment.  Between the three of us, we've replaced 3 tubes in 5 days.  One of the riders replaced 4 flats just today!
For the first time in 46 years I peed along an interstate.  When nature calls (and it does a lot in 134 miles), you do what you have to do.  I still don't know what the female riders in the group do, there are too many miles between rest stops to be civilized, and the landscape doesn't offer much opportunity to hide what you're doing (no car doors to hide behind either).  The Sheila from Australia rode the support van today; I'm not sure why, but if I had to guess, I would guess saddle sore issues.   The day before, another person rode the van due to a sore ass.  The chief complaint among the group is the saddle sore issues.   While the 3 of us are having our issues, so far we've been able to avoid the "ride of shame" aka the support van.  Speaking of which, tomorrow brings a unique problem.  A section of the interstate is reduced to one lane for construction, and the berm is virtually, non-existent.    Some of the riders are being transported about 11 miles from the hotel to beyond the bad section and dropped off.  Some of the riders, including the Pennsylvania contingent, are to ride 7 miles from the hotel and wait to be picked up and transported the approximately 4 miles beyond the bad section of interstate.  I will leave my Garmin on so my milage will be accurate and I can follow the cue sheet and turns at designated milage.  As a result if you notice the speed on the live feed being high, its likely the result of van ride and not a 50 knot tailwind.
Riding Interstate 40 was as boring as I had predicted, but the terrain did vary and offered something to look at.  Often truckers, if they could, would move to the left lane and give us a courteous wide birth.  Drivers so far on the trip have been very nice.  The New Zealanders are amazed at how nice the American drivers are to cyclists. (They clearly haven't been to York County).  Yesterday, we did get yelled at by a fat, leather and bandanna clad, "biker" on a a Harley, leading a group of 3 others, something to the effect; "Get off the Fuc*ing road you faggots".  In a pole of the others in our group, the guy yelled the same phrase to everyone.  If you're going to be an asshole, you should at least not be a dumb asshole; have a different vile statement for everyone you pass.
Well past my bedtime, lost an hour, now Mt. time, gotta go.  Forgive the typos, spelling, etc., no time nor inclination to proof read before posting.

3 comments:

  1. As far as the sore bums, after today's ride you will have 850 miles in 7 days, besting the max of 800 in our 2009 ride(justification?). I see you burned 9908 calories yesterday, I thought you would ride around the block a few times to get to 10000 (NOT). I am jealous, you have already had the "Prevailing Tail Winds" more than we did in 2009.

    Tim Rohrbaugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first summer camp with the USMCR was at 29 Palms, Calif.. They flew us from Bethlehem in DC3's and the plane I was in developed motor trouble in Albuquerque. I spent the night at the airport sleeping on the floor. I remember the cops dressed like cowboys and had ivory handled six shooters.I looked at things to do and places to eat. The food seems pretty much Mexican with either green or red Chilli . The rio Grande runs through town and that's about it forr entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked at your next stop; Las Vegas. Seriously, you couldn't have riden 1 more day and took your day off in Las Vegas. I would be talking to someone about that choice.

    ReplyDelete